Abbey Street, Sligo town, Co. Sligo
Phone: +353 71 9146046
Petfriendly: Yes (dogs must be kept on a lead at all times)
Although commonly known as Sligo Abbey, the correct title for one of Sligo town’s oldest surviving structures is The Convent of the Holy Cross. Sligo Abbey was built around 1252-1253 by the Norman Baron Maurice Fitzgerald , who is also credited with being the founder of Sligo. The Friars were in residence at The Convent of the Holy Cross for five turbulent centuries, until they left in 1760. A new abbey was then built in 1763 in Burton Street.
Baxter was allowed to come into the abbey with us, on condition that he was kept on a lead at all times.
Sligo Abbey is managed by the Office of Public Works, who has responsibility for the day-to-day running of over 750 National Monuments and National Historic Properties.
Admission to Sligo Abbey is from 30th March until 8th October from 10am until 6pm and costs only €3 per adult, and €1 for children, which is excellent value for money and well worth the visit.