A moderate walk
Estimated time: 1.5 hrs
Terrain: Flat, firm terrain with riverside paths and canal banks.
O’Brien’s Bridge or O’Briensbridge is a village in east County Clare, Ireland, on the west bank of the River Shannon. It is named for the bridge across the Shannon at that point, built by Turlough O’Brien in 1506.
The short 5km loop is marked with green arrows and travels upstream along the Shannon to the Parteen Weir Hydro Dam before returning to O’Briensbridge via the Headrace Canal.
The loop is part of the network of National Looped Walks and is marked in both directions using the standard National Looped Walk directional arrows.
The loop starts and finishes at the trailhead which is located on the bank of the river Shannon at the Riverside Park in the village of O’Briensbridge, approximately 14km from Limerick City and just off the R463.
The trailhead car park is located close to a variety of local shops, pubs, restaurants and guest accommodation.
A Heritage Guide to the walk is available to download from http://obriensbridge.com.